ITAL STEW RECIPE
Are you looking for a great Ital stew recipe? Then you’ve come to the right place. We’re going to show you how to prepare this yummy meal in under an hour.
Ital stew is a vegan dish popular with the Rastafari movement, focusing on unprocessed foods and simple, delicate flavors.
Here, you can watch a Jamaican Rastaman Ital Stew Recipe tutorial video that will teach you how to prepare this delicious vegan stew.
Note: The Ital Stew Recipe in the video is different than the Rastavere recipe below.
Preparation: 20 min.
Cooking: 35 min.
Ready in: 55 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 green onions, bottoms removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 yellow plantain, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups pumpkin or squash, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Juice of 1/2 lime (1 tablespoon)
- 2 cups taro, cut into bite-sized chunks (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 10 okras)
- 3 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cups collard greens, sliced (about 4 leaves)
- Sea salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- Pepper to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 small handful cilantro, chopped
How to Make it
First heat oil in a large Dutch pot on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
Then add garlic, green onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, Italian seasoning, allspice berries and cook stirring frequently for another minute or until fragrant.
Stir in Bragg’s liquid aminos, tomato paste, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and coat with seasonings. Cook for about a minute, stirring frequently.
Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes or until stew is thick, adding Soy Curls™ halfway.
FInally, season with salt and pepper.
This stew is delicious, however, you may need to tweak it to you liking.
In addition, let us know how your stew turned out. We loved to know how you customized it to inhance the taste.
Please like, comment, and subscribe below.